COMMITMENT TO THE ENVIRONMENT
As Commanding Officer, U.S. Naval Station Rota, Spain, I am committed to sound management of all environmental programs throughout my command and recognize that responsible environmental management is one of our highest priorities. We are committed to protecting the health and safety of our employees and the environment. Environmental standards will be an integral part of our planning and decision-making processes.
Our challenge is accomplishing our mission with limited resources. It is critical to our current and future success that we perform our duties in an environmentally responsible manner. To meet this goal, Naval Station (NAVSTA) Rota will sustain an Environmental Management System that:
• Identifies environmental aspects (activities or services that can have an environmental impact), and sets policies and goals to provide an organized management approach to decision-making.
• Complies with requirements of the U.S. DOD Environmental Final Governing Standards (FGS) for Spain and other legal requirements.
• Reduces water usage and maintains a safe and sustainable drinking water supply.
• Minimizes waste generation and incorporates recycling.
• Protects cultural and natural resources.
• Responds promptly and thoroughly to incidents.
• Provides environmental training and information.
Departments and tenant commands are required to ensure compliance with all environmental regulations and to promote environmentally safe and healthy working conditions for our community.
NAVSTA Rota commits to preventing adverse environmental impacts from our operations by minimizing and controlling processes and pollutant releases that may be harmful to the environment or personnel. Where possible, we will minimize or eliminate waste through source reduction, recycling, and substitution of less hazardous materials and processes.
We will seek opportunities for continual improvement of our environmental performance. We will set goals and establish metrics to measure our progress. We will incorporate environmental management into our everyday lives and work ethic. Achieving the highest quality environmental program is only possible through the commitment and participation of each and every member of the NAVSTA Rota community.
TEAGUE J. SUAREZ